Thursday, July 17, 2008

Run Run Reindeer

Picture the Muppets Animal saying that on the John Denver & the Muppets Christmas special. (And yes, I do have that CD).



Ten weeks ago I signed up for a 10 week running class call No Boundaries (sponsored by Fleet Feet & New Balance). I know that sounds goofy...but it was advertised as couch to 5k. We meet at 7pm Thursdays & 7am Saturday. Each week they've been adding more miles & bigger run/walk intervals. Tonight was my last class before the 5k Saturday...the intervals tonight were 1 min walk, 4 min run. Sadly, I cannot do that for the whole distance yet....my body is not a fan of running....each week has brought different pain...but amazingly, I no longer get shin splints or calf pain so I guess I am making progress.

Of course, I did miss a whole week because of running caused knee pain (very bad when you live on the 3rd floor) & I've missed several Saturdays because of bike rides (gotta train for Whitefish too). I've wanted to give up several times but Im stubborn & wasnt going to let running kick my ass. (Though Thursday night runs are VERY hilly & are extra difficult in 90 degree heat...I still went). The good news is that they are feeding us pancakes after the 5k Saturday...something to help me push myself to go faster.

After all this, I'd still rather bike 30 miles than run 3.

4 comments:

Heaven In A Paper Cup said...

You're doing great!!! Running is really tough on anyone's body. I'm assuming the fleet feet people checked your shoes out right? I know I had some running knee pain once and it just meant I needed new shoes! Good luck on Saturday and enjoy your victory pancakes ;-)

Jacqueline said...

My shoes are brand new (or they were 10 weeks ago). The Fleet Feet people entered all kinds of info in a little Palm Pilot looking thing & picked out shoes for me. They even made me run in them to see if they were ok for me. I was SO not dressed for that & they are right next to a Subway. I bet those people were amused.

Jason said...

Run, Jac! Run!

mmmm...pancakes!! :-)

Dana Loesch is Wrong said...

So how did the 5K go? I'd like to try one of those, but not in this heat!!